become an outfitter member
THE PROFESSIONAL STANDARD IN THE ADVENTURE TOURISM AND ECOTOURISM INDUSTRY IN QUEBEC
To become a member of the Association, you must demonstrate that your company is safe, professional and consistent with the accreditation program of the Association, which you will do in the 2nd stage of your application.
To apply to have your company be an outfitter member of Aventure Écotourisme Québec, you must:
- Meet the definition of an Aventure Écotourisme Québec outfitter.
This means, a natural or legal person who, for pay, offers the public or intermediaries adventure and ecotourism activity trips, to wit, organized and guided or self-guided activities, with contact with the nature and culture of a given place or territory. The activities involve a degree of risk and are not necessarily focused on wildlife specimen collecting.
- Must be incorporated or registered in Quebec (Quebec Business Registry)
- Must have a minimum of 2 million in civil liability insurance. Once an accredited member, you are eligible for our preferred rate liability insurance plan.
Or you can receive a quote for your company now by contacting Josée Marcotte at ESSOR, our insurance broker, at 1-877-883-7767 extension 5023.
- Present the required documents (risk recognition and acceptance form, risk management and emergency measures plan, guide register...)
- Adhere to the guide-to-tourist ratio for each activity.
- Employ guides 18 years or over, who have updated first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certificates issued by a recognized authority (e.g., Sirius, Red Cross, CSST, St. John Ambulance, Heart and Stroke Foundation, etc.) as well as their technical certificates for each guided activity, as applicable.
- Have in your possession one or several first aid kits.
- Guarantee abuse-free, humane treatment of animals during activities (sled dogs, horses and others).
How to become a member
First stage: Initial application
- Complete and return to us the following form
- Provide a copy of a brochure if you do not have a website
- Include a payment of $86.23 (tax included) that is non-refundable as the initial processing fee.
Once you have filed the application (form and payment), you will receive the application for the second stage via Dropbox (documents shared via Internet) by mail; the person in charge will contact you to ask you which you prefer. That will give you the tools you need to meet the aforementioned conditions. You have one year from payment of the initial application to file the application for the second stage. The initial processing fee is non-refundable.
Second stage: Preparing your application
- Complete the "Stage 2 form". This document is in the folder entitled To be completed and returned, which you will have received in the mail or via Dropbox in the file entitled MEMBERSHIP Stage 2/ AEQ membership.
- You must attach the documents required on page 7 and 8 of the stage 2 form and send us the whole package, accompanied by your payment of $557.63 (tax included) so that your application can be evaluated by the development and member services director.
Third stage: Accreditation visit
You will receive a visit from an accreditation advisor. He will evaluate with you whether or not your company meets all of the standards of Aventure Écotourisme Québec. This site visit will take place within a maximum of six months after the filing of your complete application. However, we try to accommodate companies by conducting the visit as soon as possible.
Fourth stage: Officialization of your member status
The membership committee of the Association will assess your application according to the recommendations of the advisor. Once you have successfully completed the four stages, you will be recognized as a professional company and will become an "accredited outfitter member" or "junior outfitter member" for companies less than a year old. You can then enjoy exclusive member privileges, including the 5 million dollar liability insurance plan.
Looking forward to having you as one of our members soon!